Monday, May 19, 2008

New story idea.

I just got back from a quick drive around town. I was doing research for a story I'm writing, and I wanted to get some places fixed firmly in my mind.

I'm writing a story about a thirty-something-year-old guy who's never really had to grow up. He runs a comic cum hobby store and doesn't have any real goals or ambitions besides slacking off and cruising through life. Plus he's a massive geek. In short, he's never been able to hold on to romantic relationships. The story will revolve a lot around his love life or lack of one.

He's surrounded by a couple of quirky uber-geek characters. They don't really help him much in his quest for the next shag, but they're awful fun to be around. And I anticipate that they'll be awful fun to write!

The story opens just after he gets dumped by the latest girlfriend. I'm looking to follow him over the course of a year, and see where his story goes.

I think it'll be an interesting journey both for my characters and I.

I'm determined to finish this story. Got a bad habit of putting things aside, and I think it's high time I sat down and actually finished a story I started writing. Wish me luck!

Oh, and my lead character isn't named yet (although the rest are). Trying to find a name that feels right. Suggestions anyone?

EDIT: It seems that calling my character a 'geek' is a wrong choice, as he isn't a full-on geek. He's not exactly a nerd either, and he's not just another slacker. Guess I'll need to define him a little better.

No comments: