Tuesday, July 22, 2008

First school.

Had my first school visit today. Went to Lynwood Senior High to register some students for the CHILL programme (group sessions; don't ask me, I didn't name it). Must say it's really interesting to actually be 'on the job' as opposed to all the training and induction I've been doing so far.

I've realised how quickly an hour can zip by when you're just trying to build bonds and fish for useful information. I felt like there was barely enough time to start talking, and then time's up. All I really got was a sketchy personal history and the fellow's name. Not too impressive, eh?

One of the kids I talked to comes from a broken home where he got abused frequently, and now he takes his aggression out on everyone around him. Another kid has got a alcohol and marijuana problem (and is disturbingly proud of it), and yet another's been trying to cope with his father's death for the past 3 years. It's sad and difficult. I hope that what little I can do will help them.

On a complete side note, Mingyang is going to go and apply for pilot school just for the hell of it. Dude, I love you like a brother, but you don't have a driving license and you want to fly?! (I admit I cracked up when he told me, and everyone started looking at me funny)

Snapped some pictures on the way home from work yesterday. Will upload when I get around to it.

No comments: