Monday, August 18, 2008

Hard day's night.

I am tired and emotionally drained. Today's "big case" took a lot out of me. People say that working with people's issues is tiring. Yeah it is. Thing is, I don't think people know just how tiring it can be. The combination of work and family problems take a lot out of me. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with things.

I'm not supposed to discuss my clients, so I'll keep this short. Today I spent two hours with a pregnant 14-year-old rape victim who self harms, has no self worth, and has a massive attitude problem. She doesn't need me to help her re-engage in school; she needs a proper nurturing environment and therapy, not weekly one-hour sessions. I've tried referring her to qualified counsellors and engaging her in alternative education, but she refuses.

Work can be tiring and emotionally draining, so I try to maintain a professional emotional distance. It was difficult to do today though; sometimes you can't help feeling for the client. Plus my personal life isn't the best right now. There's a lot of different pressures and expectations to deal with, and sometimes I find it hard to cope. I haven't been able to do some things that I want to do recently, and that drags at me.

Another complete side note: I find that doing 'what's right' is profoundly difficult. Problem being that 'right' can mean different things to different people. I can't please everyone. Some days it feels like I can't please anyone, and falling short negatively affects my sense of self worth a lot more than I let on.

No comments: