Monday, August 10, 2009

moments in monochrome.

A few more shots from the Dongara/Geraldton trip, coverted to black and white. I really enjoy black and white photography. There's a certain gravity and character about it that gets lost sometimes when shooting in colour. The tones and shadows are emphasised, the character is somehow enhanced... that's something I never tire of seeing.

Black and white conversion also can help 'save' a photograph. Especially when the colour's a little off or the picture's a little over exposed. I admit that I do convert some shots to black and white simply because I'm trying to 'save' the shot. Most of the time though, it's an artistic decision based on the very simple 'it'll just look better' argument!

I don't really subscribe too much to the overly artistic school of thought. A good photograph just has to look good. It doesn't necessarily need to have a deeper meaning or have superb technical quality. Or maybe I'm subconsciously making excuses because I'm not very good at the technical aspects of photography! Who knows?

Someone to lean on.
Help, I've fallen over
One of many leaning trees, Geraldton

I'm amazed at how many leaning trees there were in the area. I just can't get my head around how the prevailing winds stunt a tree's growth so much that the tree literally grows leaning over. It's just amazing in it's own way.

Towering above.
Tower
Tower at the HMAS Sydney memorial, Geraldton

I can't claim any credit for the picture. It was taken by Char using my camera and I am so taken by the framing and placement of the break in the clouds just nicely silouetting the flag that I just had to post it.

Whipped away in the wind.
Whipped away in the wind
Windmill, somewhere in between Geralton and Dongara

Snapped this one in the car on the way back from trying to find some pool whose name suddenly escapes me. There's literally miles of open plain, dotted every so often by a herd of sheep and by one of these giant windmills. When you think about the trees getting blown over by the wind, it makes perfect sense to build a wind farm out that way. This was probably the most dynamic of all the windmill shots I took. Shame you can see the window reflection in the picture though.

Somewhat pensive?
Somewhat pensive?
Char, in Mabeline's car

Admittedly I am horrible at taking portraits. This shot didn't turn out too badly though. I'm actually quite surprised that even though I was cooped in a car for hours on stretch, I didn't take as many images of my fellow car-mates as I could have. I really should try and utilise the opportunity to work on my portraiture, hey? Maybe next time.

As they say, carpe diem, hey?

No comments: