Sunday, August 9, 2009

apologies. weekend getaway.

My apologies for the absurdly long absence! I have no excuses other than (1) I have been fairly busy with work, and (2) I'm really good at procrastinating. More of the latter than the former to be honest. Then again most of you know exactly how much of a sloth the good Chris can be when it comes to getting things done, much to the girlfriend's chagrin.

We went up to Dongara with Mabeline and Calvin about two weekends back for a quick getaway. It's a fairly sleepy picturesque town approximately four hours by car north of Perth with a growing rock lobster fishing industry. Hell, they've even got a large metal lobster along the main highway! (Note to self: upload lobster pic)

We drove up on Friday night after work and came back Sunday afternoon by way of New Norcia. Spent most of Saturday in Geraldton, which is the major population centre approximately 30 minutes drive away. Sad to say, most of Saturday was horrible for pictures, although I think I managed a couple good ones. And yes, we did have lobster (among other things) for dinner.

I'd say it was a pretty good trip. Lord knows that Char and I both needed a break from the daily monotony. In fact, I'm pretty sure we need another break fairly soon! Maybe it's time for another drive down south...

A poem in stone.
church02

I felt an indescribable sense of 'coming home' when I stepped into the cathedral. The history and tradition literally seeps through the very architecture, at once both different and yet reassuringly familiar. The interior of the nave and the dome have a strangely mosque-like air, almost like the Byzantian-style architecture or one of the great Spanish mosques. I wish I had better pictures of the interior to show you.

For me, the most heartachingly beautiful thing in the cathedral are the stained-glass windows. I was most struck by one window dedicated to the memory of a son who fought and died in the first World War. The anguish of loss was palpably present in that stained glass, as was a quiet and reassuring hope. I spent a good while just drinking that window in. Tragic and beautiful. They rarely make art like that these days.

Lighthouse by moving car.
lighthouse by car window
Moore Point Lighthouse, Geraldton

The lighting was poor when we first passed by the lighthouse; which is the first all-steel lighthouse built on the mainland and the oldest lighthouse still under federal government ownership. Thankfully I managed to sneak in this shot on the way back.

King of my castle.
king of the castle
Seagull on a trash can. Back Beach, Geraldton

For some reason this seagull just refused to move and actually chased off another bird who tried to land on 'his' trash can. I'm reminded of the seagulls in Finding Nemo yelling out 'Mine! Mine! Mine!'

Lunch.
a bit of this and that
Chicken salad with bacon and sundried tomato. Skeetas Restaurant and Cafe, Geraldton.

Lunch at Skeetas Restaurant and Cafe in Geraldton, overlooking the foreshore. Salad was excellent and the deep fried calamari were one of the better ones I've had in a while. Had a very interesting strawberry yoghurt dip with bread as part of the appetisers too.

Did I mention I really enjoyed the chicken salad? Mmm. Chicken salad...

Sharing a moment.
lovers, again.

another sunset
Sunset, Dongara

After all the dreary skies and washed-out colour of the day, we're suddenly greeted with a awesome display of magnificent wonder. Seriously, it made all the bad shots I've taken over the course of the day almost worth it to experience and capture another one of those glorious sunsets we so rarely have the time to contemplate.

And that's all I have for you at the moment. More pictures to come soon! I promise!

No comments: